The Horse & Hound is a breathtaking indoor and outdoor venue in the White Mountains. The space is optimal for hosting an entire destination New Hampshire wedding weekend. Your guests can enjoy the spectacular outdoor activities of Franconia Notch after just a 2-hour drive from Boston, Portland or Burlington. The wedding party or your entire micro wedding can stay in the historic recently renovated 12-bedroom New England lodge on 8 private acres. Scroll down for more information on our offering or contact us below.
Ceremony Locations for your New Hampshire Wedding
The Horse & Hound offers a variety of wedding ceremony locations on the Franconia, New Hampshire property.
For indoor weddings, both the entrance room and dining room make perfect wedding ceremony locales. In the entrance room, the furniture can be cleared and the ceremony can either take place in front of the fireplace or in front of the glass doors. When the ceremony is in front of the doors, couples typically decorate them with flowers to make an altar.
If the reception is in the dining room, and the couple wants an indoor ceremony, they typically choose the entrance room. If the wedding reception is outside, then couples can use the dining room for the ceremony. For indoor weddings, the guest capacity is 55 people with a dance floor. For outdoor weddings, the entrance room and dining room can be used as a backup wedding ceremony for up to 100 people. So, you have many ceremony options at the Horse & Hound for your New Hampshire wedding!
If you prefer an outdoor ceremony, then there are great options at the Horse & Hound. The flat area of the lawn offers various tent configurations your wedding ceremony. In the middle in front of the rock wall or at either end. The wedding ceremony can also take place on the upper lawn below the elegant birch tree.
The terrace is another outdoor reception option for your NH wedding ceremony at the Horse & Hound. It’s about 1000 square feet paved area.
For your indoor weddings, the Horse & Hound can provide seating for up to 55 people in original chairs from when the Horse & Hound first opened as an Inn in the 1940s. Because the chairs are originals that can be damaged outside, couples must rent seating for outdoor wedding ceremonies.
We can also suggest some wedding ceremony options off the property, such as the Artists Bluff Trail. It has breathtaking view and perfect for a small elopement ceremony.
Reception Locations for your Wedding in New Hampshire
The Horse & Hound also has a variety of wedding reception locations. The best indoor reception locale is the wood beamed dining room, which is about 850 square feet. It can accommodate 55 seated guests with a dance floor. The chairs and square tables are from the original 1940s inn. The Horse & Hound also has 3 wood round tabletops and 2 banquet tabletops that are handmade and sit on the square tables.
Outside, the best options for the reception are on the terrace or under a tent on the lower lawn. The terrace has patio furniture including wicker lounging furniture and 7 small square and round black metal table and chairs. The lower lawn is flat, large and accessible by vehicle, so it is perfect for a tented reception. It’s roughly 55 feet by 135 feet, so there are various spots to place the tent on the lawn, depending on the number of guests.
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner Options
We no longer rent individual rooms at the Horse & Hound, so you’ll always have the entire property for at least two nights. There is no extra charge for hosting your rehearsal dinner or Sunday brunch at the Horse and Hound. That makes it a perfect New Hampshire destination wedding venue!
Our suggestion for rehearsal dinner locations depend on what you decide to do for your reception. For example, if you’re doing a sit-down dinner inside for your wedding reception, you could do the rehearsal dinner on the patio with lawn games in the yard. Or if you’re doing your wedding in a tent on the lawn, you could do your rehearsal dinner in the dining room.
We also have suggestions for rehearsal dinner off-site. There are some great restaurants and breweries nearby, such as the Beal House in Littleton!
Cocktail Hour Locations at the Horse & Hound
For indoor weddings, we suggest having the cocktail reception in the tavern. Depending on the number of guests, you can also do the cocktail reception between the tavern and library. There is a door that connects the two, so it’s easy to move back and forth.
For outdoor cocktail receptions, the patio is a great option. Guests can also wander into the garden and greenhouse during an outdoor cocktail reception.
Accommodations for your New Hampshire Wedding at the Horse & Hound
The Horse & Hound is a historic and recently renovated New England style lodge with original hardwood floors and custom-made furniture. Upstairs, up to 24 guests can stay in the 12 guest rooms. Please click here for more details and images of the rooms.
For your convenience, this is a summary of the rooms: BR 1: 1xFull; BR 2: 1xQueen; BR 3: 1xQueen; BR 4: 2xTwins; BR 5: 1xFull; BR 6: 1xFull; BR 7: 1xFull; BR 8: 2xTwin (1 a trundle); BR 9: 1xQueen; BR 10: 1xQueen; BR 11: 1xTwin; BR 12: 1xQueen, 1xTwin. Room 3 is the largest room and typically used by the couple. Seven of the bedrooms have private bathrooms plus there are two two-room suites that share a bathroom.
Wifi is available throughout the building. Air conditioning is provided in the warmer months. The accommodation rental includes a cleaning of the upstairs for non-wedding events. Check-in is at 3-6pm; checkout is by 12pm.
We require a 2-night minimum stay for all weddings except that we require a 3-day stay on Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Columbus Day weekends. The cost of the accommodations is $1,850 per night for all 12 rooms for first 2 nights (so $3700 for 2 nights), $1500 per night thereafter if paid by check in one lump sum. A New Hampshire hospitality tax of 9% will apply to both venue and accommodation rental.
The Cost of a New Hampshire Wedding Venue at the Horse & Hound
Before July 4 weekend and after the 3rd weekend in October, the wedding venue rental cost is $4000 for up to 75 guests and $400 for each additional 15 guests. The cost for the July 4 weekend through the 3rd weekend in October: $6000 for up to 75 guests and $600 for each additional 15 guests (up to 225 guests). All weddings require a minimum 2 or 3-night stay at the Horse & Hound lodge (see above).
The following is included in your venue rental:
- Exclusive use of property for the entire wedding weekend
- Indoor weddings up to 55 guests and outdoor weddings up to 225
- Multiple indoor and outdoor sites for rehearsal dinner, cocktail hour, ceremony and other wedding events
- Minimum 2 night stay for up to 24 people (additional nights possible, see on-site accommodations).
- Birch ceremony arch
- Restrooms on-site for up to 55 indoor wedding guests
- Easy drop off and turnaround spot for bses
- Parking for up to 55 cars
- Dinnerware for up to 55 guests (flatware, glassware, plates)
- Indoor tables with linens and chairs seating up to 55 people
- Commercial kitchen available for use by caterer
- Lawn games
- On-site venue representative
- Outdoor lanterns and string lights for patio
- A gorgeous outdoor space for many photo ops, including a charming greenhouse, brook and sugar maples
- Internet Service
- Indoor and outdoor electrical power outlets
Horse & Hound Policies for your New Hampshire Wedding
Below are some fo the policies for a wedding at the Horse & Hound. Please contact us more details!
- Amplified music and alcohol service is not allowed after 10:30 PM.
- We are not able to accommodate after parties, but we can recommend some great spots in the area!
- Only guests staying at the Horse & Hound allowed in the building except during approved events and not after 11pm.
- No tape, staples or adhesives used on the inside or outside of the Horse & Hound building or on any indoor structures or furniture.
- Renters must comply with all laws regarding alcohol service, including purchasing and serving alcohol through a New Hampshire licensed and insured caterer in accordance with state law.
- For all indoor weddings up to 55 guests, Horse & Hound will provide pre and post-wedding weekend table and chair setup and removal for all furniture provided by the Horse & Hound, but the Horse & Hound will not move furniture during the wedding weekend.
- Any wedding over 55 people must be outdoors. Outdoor venues require tent reservations to ensure an adequate rain plan.
- Portable restrooms must be rented for any outdoor weddings. Couples must rent a minimum of 1 portable restroom per 50 guests.
- For outdoor weddings, couple is responsible for all rentals, including tent, tables, linens, chairs, and tableware. Vendor information can be found on our preferred vendor list.
- Only guests staying at the Horse & Hound are allowed in the building of the Horse & Hound except during approved events
- Couple is responsible for all outdoor set up and break down of event. Couple will be charged a fee if Horse & Hound helps with set up/breakdown.
- Upon departure, couples must consolidate trash and recycling in designated on-site cans.
- The Horse & Hound will pass along cleaning and trash removal fee for the downstairs and outside (guest room cleaning is included in accommodation rental); the average cleaning fee for the indoors if the kitchen is not used for a wedding event and the trash is managed as directed is $350).
- No more than 55 cars in the parking lot and parking not permitted on the road.
- A licensed and insured caterer is required for all food service over 25 people. Other vendors must be licensed and insured and pre-approved by the venue.
- Vendors not on preferred vendor list are allowed as long as they are licensed and insured and are pre-approved by the venue.
- The Horse & Hound only provides an on-site representative to provide information on the venue, the couple is responsible for all wedding coordination.
- Events over 30 guests require at least a Day of Coordinator to manage event for the entire duration. Full service wedding planners are also welcome! Inquire for our list of suggested event coordinators.
- There is no smoking on the property, including cigarettes, pipes, vaping, cigars and incense.
- No flame candles in the historical home.
- Fireplaces can only be used in the winter for safety reasons.
- Fireworks are not permitted.
- Pets of the wedding couple are permitted on a case-by-case basis and only allowed on the property during the ceremony.
- Security Deposit is required. Inquire for more details.
- Renters must secure a minimum of $1M Special Event Liability Insurance policy within 30 days of their event.
- A 50% non-refundable payment is required to reserve the date. The remainder of the payment is due within 90 days from the wedding. COVID related refunds or rescheduling will only be allowed if New Hampshire closes its borders to other states. All couples must comply with applicable COVID requirements and limitations.
- Horse and Hound does not assume liability for any materials or equipment that are damaged or lost when left at facility prior to, during, or after a function.